What is Child Abuse?
Child Abuse is a situation whereby an adult (e.g parent, guardian, caregiver, etc) causes unsolicited pain, injury, emotional harm or death to a child.
Ephesians 6:4 And ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
Colossians 3:2 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger , lest they be discouraged.
HERE ARE 5 MAJOR TYPES OF CHILD
1. PHYSICAL CHILD ABUSE
2. SEXUAL CHILD ABUSE
3. EMOTIONAL CHILD ABUSE
5. SPIRITUAL CHILD ABUSE.
PHYSICAL CHILD ABUSE
This is a type of abuse where an adult causes physical and visible injury on a child intentionally. E.g;
👉Beating until blood gushes out.
👉Causing pain with a lasting scar.
👉Causing burns, etc
SEXUAL CHILD ABUSE
Sexual abuse occurs when an adult uses a child for sexual purposes or involves a child in sexual acts. E.g;
EMOTIONAL CHILD ABUSE
It’s a situation where an adult injures the emotional feelings of a child. E.g;
👉Frequently telling a child out of wedlock he/she is a bastard.
👉Causing shame and humiliation.
👉 Molesting their mother or siblings in their presence.
👉Frequent Insults and Aggression, etc
This is a situation where a parent or guardian does not give the basic care, supervision, support and love needed for a child’s well-being. E.g;
👉 Not taking them to school as at when due.
👉Not paying their school fees.
👉Not taking them to the hospital when they are sick.
👉Abandoning them under the care of strangers, immature or incompetent persons like housemaids or careless neighbours etc.
SPIRITUAL CHILD ABUSE
This is a type of child abuse that subjects a child to spiritual or religious pain and trauma. E.g;
👉Making a child to forcefully confess they are possessed with witchcraft spirits or belonging to a secret society.
👉Making a child practice a religion against their wish, conscience and their religion of birth.
EXAMPLES OF CHILD ABUSE IN OUR SOCIETY
1. Child Labour: Making a child do jobs beyond their age capacity and limit. E.g ; Making a child of 5years to carry a 50kg bag of rice etc.
2. Child Trafficking: This could be international or local child trafficking. It is international when a child is taken from one country to another for selfish or gainful purposes. While it is local if it is done within a country.
3. Inflicting undue injury on a child: Beating a child is scriptural but inflicting injury on them is evil and unnatural.
4. Child Slavery: Most housemaids are victims of child slavery. Child slavery is a situation where you engage a child or even a teenager to look after your own children at the expense of their own life and destiny. E.g;
👉Your children are in school but they are not.
👉 Your children eat good food but they eat remnants or starve.
👉Your children wear good clothes but they wear rags and indecent dresses.
👉Your children have good health care but they are exposed to health dangers. E.g;
👉Your children use mosquito net but they don’t.
👉Your children use private clippers but you subject them to public clippers.
👉Your children have good clothes to keep them warm when cold but they don’t have any.
5. Forceful Marriage: Giving out a child in marriage without their full consent and consciousness for selfish reasons.
6. Exposing your child to your sexual activities. Under no circumstance should a child be in the same room where you make love to your spouse because;
👉They must not be allowed to notice, hear, see any trace of your sexual activities. E.g;
👉The house must be arranged in such a way that they must not hear you scream when you are reaching climax or having a feeling that daddy and mummy just finish having sex. Most children pretend to be asleep while watching their parents have sex every night.
7. It is sexual abuse to allow your child irrespective of gender, to be playing with your sex organs or sensitive parts of your body.
Why will a boy who is no longer been breastfed, be allowed to be play with his mother’s breast?
A girl playing with her father’s manhood?
8. It is child abuse to let children of different gender who are old enough to understand their sexuality, sleep on the same bed without supervision.
9. Forceful Fasting: A child must grow to understand what fasting entails before training them to fast.
9. Dressing Your Child Provocatively: I know you may be thinking they aren’t sexually attractive yet but you must have heard or read stories of adults sexually molesting children below 5 years. I have seen many.
10. Exposing Your Child To Domestic Violence: Children who grew in homes where daddy is always beating mummy will grow to be hostile and hurtful.
EFFECTS AND SYMPTOMS OF CHILD ABUSE
7. Suicidal thoughts
8. Inferiority complex
10. Frightened by sexual intimacy etc.
Child abuse is a seed sown waiting to bear fruit in future.
Child abuse is a criminal offense and punishable by law and God.
We must say no to child abuse and report any case of child abuse to the appropriate authority.