You must first of all know that God who created you never wanted you to be poor, He delights in your prosperity.
3 John 1:2, “Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.”
Psalm 35:27, “Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let the Lord be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.”
Even as a biological father, no father wants his children to be poor, how much more our heavenly father.
Job 36:11, “If they obey and serve him , they shall spend their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasure.”
Many are comfortable in their poverty because they enjoy the sympathy of men, they are lazy, and they love self-pity.
1. NO ONE RESPECTS A POOR PERSON: Poor people are always relegated to the background and are looked down upon because they have little or nothing to offer. This world is a solution-seeking world; people are looking for those who can solve their problems.
2. A POOR PERSON IS DEFENSELESS: Even the bible says “money is a defense” Eccl 7:2b. Poor people are always vulnerable to many evils for lack of money. While the rich uses his money to defend himself in the court, in the society, in the family, in the church, in the hospital etc.
3. POVERTY MAKES YOU BEHAVE STUPID AND FOOLISH: A poor man will rather prefer to go for cheap and inferior things in order to save cost, thereby risking his life in the process.
4. POOR PEOPLE RUN AFTER FRIENDS AND RELATIVES: Proverbs 14:20, “The poor is hated even of his own neighbour: but the rich hath many friends.”
But friends and relations run after the rich.
5. THE RICH ALWAYS RULE OVER THE POOR: Proverbs 22:7,”The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.”
The rich in the society set the standard, the pace, set the rules etc higher above the reach of the poor so as to stay rich and keep the poor perpetually poor. The poor is always at the mercy of the rich.
6. POOR PEOPLE’S IDEAS ARE ALWAYS THROWN OUT: Their ideas are not taken because they lack resources to back them up.
Ecclesiastes 9:15, “Now there was found in it a poor wise man, and he by his wisdom delivered the city; yet no man remembered that same poor man.”
7. IT IS NOT EASY TO SERVE GOD IN POVERTY: You need money to buy bible, Christian literatures, support or do evangelism, build God’s vineyard, contribute to church development etc. this is why it seems the poor are getting poorer and the rich are getting richer; it is more blessed to give than to receive; the rich has what to give while the poor always receives.
8. POVERTY CAN CUT SHORT YOUR LIFE: Poverty will not allow you go to hospital when you are sick, poverty will not allow you eat good and healthy food, poverty will not let you stay in a clean and conducive environment, poverty will expose you to life threatening situations.
9. THE POOR HAVE NO PEACE OF MIND: People say poor people have more peace of mind than the rich but this is not true. The poor is always in the debt. The thought of his inability to meet basic needs and fear of unpaid dues and bills e.g, electricity bill, school fees, rent etc.
10. POVERTY MAKES YOU DEVELOP STRANGE HABITS AND CHARACTER: Poverty can make you to be aggressive, envious, jealous and angry. People do a lot of things just to cover up their poverty, like been aggressive or getting provoked over minor issues. The rich pay extra to avoid embarrassments but the poor spend precious time arguing. May God deliver you from poverty-oriented arguments and anger.
11. POVERTY IS HEREDITARY: Poverty can be inherited and passed unto successive generations. This is because the poor can’t leave a good legacy for their children; they can’t afford good education etc. This is why everybody in Gideon and Saul’s household were poor. Judges 6:15 and 1Sam 9;21
12. If a poor man does not take drastic and radical steps he may die poor and consequently leave no inheritance for his children. The worst thing that can happen to a man is to die and leave debts for his children instead of an inheritance. Prov 13:22.
In conclusion, men are poor because of;
Lack of tithing