This is a question that demands urgent answers especially in this era where everybody seems to get involved in the things of the altar. The place of the altar is the exclusive office of Aaron and his children. The Levites are ordained to assist on the altar. The work of the altar is a sacred one and requires separation and consecration.
The scripture is very clear about this in Hebrews 5:4 “And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron”. Pastoring is not a profession or a vocation, it is a calling. No one can choose to be a pastor if he or she is not called by God. The challenge these days is the inability to recognize God’s calling.
Ways You Can Be Called By God
1. God can call a man by giving him a burden. God may plant burdens of a set of people in your heart e.g the married, youths, children, widows/orphans etc or a particular assignment like teaching, administration, evangelism etc.
2. God can call a man via dreams, visions and revelations or other means of communication.
3. Calling can come by human appointment, like Jesus appointed his disciples. Some will never recognize God’s divine call upon their lives until there’s a call from a human vessel.
4. Calling can be through human ordination. A person can receive God’s call by selection, election etc by a constituted authority. Appointment into some relegious offices are done by election.
5. Calling can be by impartation. Elijah and Elisha, Moses and Joshua, Jesus and Peter are examples.
People with genuine passion can be a great instruments in the hand of the Lord.
Matthew 8:19-22 And a certain scribe came, and said unto him, Master, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.  And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.  And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.  But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.
Today, most people who are called aren’t willing to answer the call yet the harvest is plenteous but the labourers are few. Matt 9:37. Passion can generate grace and anointing to function. Jesus did not turn down those men who requested to follow him. If the called ones are not available, we can substitute the available to replace the called.
The harvest must not waste.